Monday, May 13, 2013 | By: ~Valerie~

Mary O'Reilly Series by Terri Reid





Series Synopsis:

Dying is what changed Mary O'Reilly's life. Well, actually, coming back from the dead and having the ability to communicate with ghosts is really what did it. As a third-generation Chicago cop, Mary knew the risks of being a polic officer and didn't hesitate to step between a drug dealer's bullet and her beloved older brother, Sean. But instead of "going to the light" when she died on the operating table, she was given a choice - a choice that would change her life.

Now, a private investigator in rural Freeport, Illinois, Mary's trying to learn how to incorporate her experience as a Chicago cop and new-found talent into a real job. Her challenge is to solve the mysteries, get real evidence (a ghost's word just doesn't hold up in court), and be sure the folks in town, especially the handsome new police chief, don't think she's nuts.

Throughout her adventures, Mary is aided by many colorful characters. Together, they work to solve mysteries so spirits with unfinished business can move on. These mysteries take them to all parts of rural Northwest Illinois and Chicagoland area.


Book Review:
 


I can’t say enough about this series. I was hooked them minute I read the first chapter in Loose Ends (the first book of the series). It had suspense, romance, thrills and paranormal beings. To me that is a good combination for a book, lol. That is all my favorite genres!

Terri Reid really knows her stuff and the writing was amazing. It flowed really well and kept me excited throughout the series. I like the fact that the romance between Bradley and Mary was not an immediate one, like so many other romances I have read it. It felt more natural and realistic.

All the characters in this book (well the good guys, lol) were awesome, there wasn’t one page that I didn’t read that would not have me laughing. Each one had their own unique way of being….well…a smart ass, haha!! J Mary was the best at the smart witty comments!! I could see myself really being friends with her if she was real, hahaha!! Oh and Bradley, yummy and what a sweet heart!!

Because there are ten books in this series so far, I decided it would be a lot easier to just write one review for the whole series.  Each book had a different story but the whole series seemed to mesh together by the way the stories would flow to the book. I really liked how the characters were strong and confident but also had their times of weakness. When you have characters that never show weakness it can kind of gets a little boring, but that was not an issue with this series.

There were times I had gotten a little emotional with the series. Mary was so compassionate about her goal in helping others, both in the life and after death. I loved how the main characters in the series were a big family, not by blood but by friendship. It is so hard to find that kind of friendship. Each character was just as fun and loving as the next and I loved every minute of it.

I guess I can say the one thing I had a little issue with this series was the constant repeat about the characters within each book, I think it finally died down after book five. I could see it going to at least book two but the constant reminder through the rest of the books was about to drive me crazy. I was reading a series so I know about the characters background by end of book one, but I just skipped over the reminder introduction in the books and it was not big deal. Other than that little detail and a few grammar and spelling issues (which was not very many) was really the only thing I had against the series.

If you like a little mystery, crime solving, danger, paranormal and a sweet simple romance, then you will really love this series. I am so glad that I was able to read them, I actually finished all ten books in a week’s time. I just couldn’t put them down. Go out and get the books I know you won’t be disappointed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment